During pregnancy your body undergoes a huge amount of natural adjustment to accommodate the developing baby:
- Increase in spinal curves and muscle tension
- Increase abdominal weight
- Hormonal changes
- Softening of ligaments (especially in pelvis)
A combination of the above changes creates strain on the supporting structures of the spine and pelvis.
As a result the most common treated complaint during pregnancy include:
- Low back pain
- Symphasis pubis dysfunction (SPD or pain in pubic region)
- Abdominal discomfort
- Breathing difficulty
Your body is now trying to recover, but maternal demands always cause physical/emotional stress that can affect wellbeing:
- Lifting baby, car seat and bag will always create excessive strain
- Disturbed sleep affects the immune system causing inflammation
- Breast feeding posture can cause uneven strain, especially if you fall asleep in the chair!
It also maintains the levels of the hormone ‘Relaxin’ which aided the pelvis to widen for birth. Therefore ligaments can struggle to keep bones strongly in place causing muscles to work harder resulting in pain.
Treatment aids the natural changes that often cause discomfort for the majority of women during and after pregnancy. Treatment achieves this by using techniques that ensure patients are comfortable and informed at all times.